We're looking for a Design Director to join our team in Dumbo, Brooklyn. In this role, you’ll bring hands-on design expertise and team leadership to a variety of product design and service challenges.
Design Directors at FA are hybrid designers, strategists and team leaders. They are passionate about creating elegant, useful digital products, ensuring a high standard of quality, integrity and ingenuity at every step of the process. As a Design Director, you’ll be responsible for the overall strategy, user experience and visual execution of the products you work on.
Outside of client work, you’ll contribute to the growth and evolution of the design discipline at Free Association. You’ll mentor associate and lead-level designers, contribute to the company’s body of design knowledge, and help shape our POV on emerging design frameworks, processes and tools.
What We’re Looking For
- 10+ years of relevant work experience
- Strong portfolio showcasing cross-platform digital product expertise
- Demonstrated ability to distill complex problems into simple and effective solutions
- Experience leading teams and mentoring designers
- Experience collaborating with engineers to realize prototypes, guide implementation and launch new products
- Intuitive design instincts with the ability to track into research-driven processes
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, highly iterative and collaborative environment
- Ability to translate business objectives into product strategy
- Experience with prototyping tools like Principle, Framer, or After Effects
- Experience creating, using and managing design systems
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Thoughtful, systematic and highly organized
What You’ll Do
- Split time between hands-on design, team leadership and mentorship of other designers
- Set the bar for work quality and performance of the team
- Develop original design concepts, and oversee all aspects of execution through to launch
- Create sketches, storyboards, prototypes, and design specs necessary to guide development of product experiences
- Build relationships, understand client vision/direction, and collaborate with a variety of stakeholders to build relevant product experiences for users
- Conduct workshops and brainstorming sessions with internal design team members, defining narratives and visual design direction for new initiatives
- Present work and rationale for decisions to executive-level client stakeholders, representing Free Association at all stages of engagement
- Collaborate with Team Leads and PMs to help scope design phases of projects accurately and efficiently
- Help create, manage and evolve the product backlog, driving week-to-week task prioritization
About Free Association
We build wisdom through experimentation and invent better ways of doing things. We work in product and marketing teams where all teammates get involved in the design process and interact directly with clients.
Benefits & Perks
- Full benefits including medical, dental and vision
- 401k matching
- 4+ weeks PTO
- Regular open studio talks and design summits
- Annual learning stipend
- Parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Flexible spending account
- Fun team excursions & cultural activities
- Subsidized transport (when applicable)
- Stocked fridge with goodies
How To Apply
If you're interested in learning more, drop us a line at email@example.com with your resume and a link to your portfolio. We're looking forward to hearing from you.
We believe in a diverse workforce and are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply! Sorry, but we don't offer Visa sponsorships at this time.